Counter-Strike: Global Offensive runs on a source engine and just like the past games we can choose in what way we like to play the game. For one having an absolute beast computer shouldn’t have any issues regarding the fps of the game will run on but for people owning “Not so good PCs”, I am gonna share some launch options of 2018 with you that’ll help you gain a bunch of fps.
What Are CS GO Launch Options?
If you aren’t already familiar with the term launch options these are options/commands that you tell the game to execute while launching instead of putting them in the console of the game. You can force the game to launch with some specific settings that you cannot do while in-game. For instance, launching the game in high priority. But you can also add your console commands into the launch options. For that, all you have to do is to put a “+” (without quotes) before your commands. e.g. +cl_forcepreload 1 helps you load your maps faster.
I did some research and have collected the most useful CSGO Launch Options that I use personally and will surely give you great FPS boost.
How to Use CS GO Launch Options.
Using launch options is really easy. For those new to game and don’t know how to set CS GO launch options just follow these simple steps.
- Go to your steam library.
- Right click on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Click on Properties
- On the general tab, you’ll see set launch options as shown below. Click that button and you’ll see a dialog box to put in your favourite launch options.
Best CS GO Launch Options.
In CS GO, Launch options hold a great importance. Especially for those who are thirsty for more FPS. Use the following launch options for some FPS boost.
- –freq = This launch options forces your monitor to run at a specific refresh rate while playing the game. Set its value to your monitors highest refresh. For instance, if you own a 144hz monitor you can use -freq 144
- -high = This will start the game in the high-priority mode for better FPS. It will make your PC set it’s priority higher over other apps.
- -nojoy = Removes the joystick support and give more free Memory and FPS.
- -novid = Removes the Valve introduction movie when the game starts.
- -threads = Set its value to the highest number of cores of your processor for maximum FPS but I won’t recommend you to use all of your cores as it can be dangerous.
- -tickrate 128 = Allowing you to run your own dedicated server at 128 tick rate. This is good if you practice on offline servers. The tick rate will be 128 instead of 64.
- +cl_forcepreload 1 = Preloads The Whole Map & Sounds resulting in faster map load times.
- +mat_queue_mode 2 = Forcing Your CPU To Use Multi-Threaded Mode
- -nod3d9ex1 = This helps you Alt+Tab faster.
- +mat_queue_mode 2 = This command enables multi-core rendering.
- -console = This enables console. You don’t have to go to game settings and enable it anymore. Every time you launch the game you’ll see the console on your screen.
The above-shared launch options are the most effective launch options promising a significant FPS boost. I am using these myself and has experienced a generous increase in FPS. These are only launch options not the console commands and as I find some more useful launch options I’ll make sure to update this post. Also if you guys have some commands worth sharing and aren’t already mentioned do let me know in the comments below.
Bonus Tip For FPS Boost.
After using all the launch options that seem to be best for you let me share another useful tip for increasing fps in CS GO. Deleting your workshop maps has resulted in increasing fps for a lot of people and it might help you too. For this follow the steps below.
- Go to your steam profile
- Go to the steam workshop
- From there navigate to subscribed items and unsubscribe all the maps you don’t play or are not useful.
- Now you have to delete all the map files. For that open your Counter-Strike: Global Offensive folder > csgo > maps > workshop and delete all the folders within the workshop folder
- Go back to maps folder and navigate to graphs > workshop and delete all the folders there as well.
After following all of the above steps re-start your game. The maps you didn’t unsub will be downloaded again and you will encounter a significant fps boost(Not 100% guaranteed for you but worked for many).